• 50mm • f/2.8 • 1/2000 • ISO100 • Canon 5DMkIII & EF50/1.4 courtesy Canon/Metropolitan
• 18mm • f/3.5 • 1/1000 • ISO100 • 600D & EF-S18-200/3.5-5.6 • polariser •
Family Time at the Bay
• 18mm • f/3.5 • 1/250 • ISO400 • 600D & EF-S18-200/3.5-5.6 •
The Waiting Sea
• 24mm • f/2.8 • 1/640 • ISO100 • 600D & EF-S24/2.8• circular polariser •
December 26th 2022 marks eighteen years since the devastating Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004, when the Indian Ocean rose up and killed over 35,000 Sri Lankans in two massive waves (the second measured as high as 11m, in places). The country suffered the second highest number of deaths in the Indian Ocean (after Indonesia which, being proximate to the epicentre of the underwater quake that caused the tsunami, lost almost 200,000 dead and missing). Over half a million people were displaced in Sri Lanka, as almost 90,000 coastal homes and buildings were destroyed by the waves. Over 250,000 people are estimated to have died in minutes, in fifteen countries, from Southeast Asia to East Africa. In island nations like Sri Lanka, the sea would never be looked at quite the same again.
Beach Morning Glory
• 24mm • f/2.8 • 1/400 • ISO100 • 600D & EF-S24/2.8 • circular polariser •Continue reading “Beach Morning Glory”
Why Can’t I Just be Happy with My DSLR?
It’s been a full decade now since Canon dipped its toe into the mirrorless camera business, but they’ve only really cracked on with it since launching the full frame EOS R in 2018; which seems a lifetime ago. Since then, Canon’s brought out seven more R camera bodies, and almost thirty new lenses for them, and announced the discontinuing of two entire camera systems in favour of this new one. But it wasn’t until they launched their first two pro-level R bodies (the R5 and R6) in 2020, that people really began to take notice. But a COVID-caused slowing down of manufacture and supply, followed immediately by economic collapse in Sri Lanka, meant camera imports were severely restricted. Testing out the new babies were just a dream, until a few weeks ago.Continue reading “Why Can’t I Just be Happy with My DSLR?”
Lost to the Blue
• 24mm • f/4 • 1/1250 • ISO100 • Canon R6 & RF 24-105/4-7.1 courtesy Canon/Metropolitan.
Forge of the Gods
• 65mm • f/6.3 • 1/25 • ISO100 • Canon R6 & RF 24-105/4-7.1 courtesy Canon/Metropolitan.
Morning After the Rain
• 28mm • f/4 • 1/1000 • ISO100 • polariser •
Evening at Arugam Bay
• 50mm • f/1.4 • 1/250 • ISO100 • Canon 5DMkIII & EF 50/1.4 courtesy Canon/Metropolitan.